Caring for Plumbing Fixtures
Caring for Plumbing Fixtures is the best way to avoid unnecessary expenses, and inconveniences that damaged plumbing apparatus can bring about. Although daily use and usual wear and tear will eventually lead to damage, and successively the need for repairs or replacements, these can all be delayed when household members consciously use plumbing fixtures with care.
Here are some tips in caring for plumbing fixtures at home:
- Follow instruction manuals. Manufacturers of plumbing fixtures provide a manual for their clients on how to care for and maintain the fixture bought from them. Apart from how to use and clean the fixture, it also details what materials and cleansers can be used on the fixture without damaging it, and how often it should be cleaned. If in case the manuals have been lost, or have not been passed on by the previous homeowner, then head on to the official website of the manufacturer to download the information guide on the product.
- Clean regularly. Wiping down surfaces, or washing with soap and water and drying with soft cloth will not hurt bathroom and kitchen plumbing fixtures. For some materials it may even help prevent rusting and corrosion, so do not skip cleaning them on a weekly basis.
- Avoid clogging the pipes. Protect the toilets and drains from items that may clog it such as non-flushable wipes, panty liners, and napkins. In the kitchen, food bits, as well as used cooking oil are the common culprits for slow and clogged drains. In the shower area, falling hair usually clog drains. To help avoid clogs, there are drain catches and filters that can be installed on sink drains, and there are hair catchers for shower drains. Used oil meanwhile should not be disposed on kitchen sink drains, instead it should just be disposed in the trash.
- Avoid DIY Troubleshooting. Troubleshooting plumbing issues may be initially cost effective, but it can be counterproductive – and could even lead to more expenses and inconveniences in the long run. When faced with a plumbing problem, avoid troubleshooting it on one’s own especially when it is something major. Avoid over-the-counter declogging solutions that might be too abrasive or corrosive, and might just cause more trouble. Get in touch with your neighborhood plumber.
- Schedule Regular Plumbing Maintenance. It is important to schedule regular plumbing maintenance to discover possible concerns in plumbing, and be able to resolve it early on before it wreaks havoc on the budget, and cause hassles.